I don’t know about your neck of the woods, but around these parts, its been FREEZING! On Saturday, Alex I braved the weather to venture out. But that was enough for me. After we were home, safe, sound, and warm, I decided I wasn’t going to go out on Sunday. So I didn’t. And it was fabulous.
Now, lets get one thing straight. I can handle the cold. I can handle the snow. I am from Buffalo after all. But when the weather dips below zero, I draw the line. I was quite content staying indoors to read, blog, and cook.
Since the weather was so lousy, I was in the mood for something warm. Some comfort food, if you will. After a quick online search, I came across this. I had all the ingredients in the fridge, it looked quick, and it just sounded soooo good.
Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli Bake
(based on this recipe allrecipes.com)
1 package of frozen broccoli
1 yellow onion
1-2 gloves of minced garlic
1 TBSP olive oil
1 lb chicken tenders
1/2 TBSP lemon pepper seasoning
salt and pepper to taste
1 14.5oz can of Amy’s Organic Cream of Mushroom soup
1/2 cup shredded Asiago cheese
1 TBSP melted butter
2 TBSP bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Chop onion and mince garlic. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat olive oil. Add onion and garlic. Saute for a few minutes.
- Cube chicken and add to onion and garlic mixture. Add lemon pepper, salt, and pepper. Cook chicken until done.
- Meanwhile, steam broccoli in the microwave or on the stove top.
- In an 8×8 dish, layer broccoli, chicken, soup, additional seasonings if using, and shredded cheese, in that order.
- Melt butter and mix in bread crumbs. Spread mixture over casserole.
- Place the dish in the oven for 12 to 15 minutes.
Once it’s done, the cheese will be nice and melty and the soup will be bubbly.
This recipe was a hit. It tasted great and it was so easy to make. I think next time I will add pasta or serve it with warm bread so that there is something to soak up all the extra soup. You could assesmble it ahead of time and then just stick it in the oven when you get home from work!