I did mention we eat a lot of chicken, didn’t I? Well even if you missed it before, it’s hard to miss now. I’ve posted three recipes this week, each involving chicken. What can I say? We like our chicken.
One of Alex’s favorite meals (as in, it’s the only thing he orders when we go to an Italian restaurant) is Chicken Parmesan. I can understand where he’s coming from. I mean, what’s not to like about juicy, breaded chicken cooked with hearty tomato sauce and melty cheese? Mmmmm.
Lucky for him, I found a recipe that couldn’t be easier. And it’s healthy to boot. I served the chicken with whole grain pasta and roasted brussels sprouts for a balanced, vitamin rich meal. So it’s healthy and it tastes good? Sign me up!
(recipe adapted from allrecipes.com)
- 1/2 lb chicken breast or tenders
- 2 Tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzerella cheese
- 2 Tbsp parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pat chicken tenders dry and dredge them through the flour, egg, then bread crumbs.
- Place chicken on a lightly greased baking sheet and cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in the center.
- In an 8×8 baking dish, spread 1/2 cup of tomato sauce on the bottom of the dish.
- Lay chicken on top of the sauce and cover the chicken with the remaining sauce and cover with cheese.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and cook for another 20 minutes.
- Serve with pasta and veggies for a balanced meal 🙂
What’s your favorite Italian dish?
I love anything with pesto and warm, soft bread with olive oil!