Typically, when our schedules coincide, Alex and I walk to and from work together. It’s a nice chance for us to talk and we get some exercise in! Last night was the first time in a loooooong time that we were able to walk home while it was still light out. I’m very happy with this day lights saving business 🙂
Last night’s dinner was an impromptu recipe because I really had no idea what to make. I knew I had some chicken in the fridge and I always keep pasta on hand, so after some thought, I came up with this dish. The flavors of this dish really worked! I keep surprising myself with my cooking abilities, haha. But honestly, this is such a simple quick meal, even the most novice of cooks could make it.
Creamy Chicken & Broccoli Pasta
- 1lb chicken tenders, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 gloves garlic, minced
- 4oz pasta, uncooked (I used Barilla Plus Elbows.)
- 2 heads of broccoli
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 6oz container of greek yogurt (I used Fage.)
- 1/4 cup spinach and artichoke hummus (I used Sabra –> just bought this over the weekend and it’s halfway gone; love it!)
- 1/4 cup Italian blend shredded cheese (The blend I used had mozzarella, provolone, asiago, parmesan, and romano)
- 2 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Basil
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Chop onions, mince garlic, and cut chicken into bite sized pieces.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic to the skillet. Cook for about five minutes before adding the chicken. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Cook for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat water to boiling and throw your pasta in. After the pasta has cooked for 6 minutes, throw in two cups of broccoli. Cook for another four minutes.
- While both the pasta and chicken are cooking, prepare your sauce. In a small bowl, combine greek yogurt, hummus, cheese, and spices. (PS… using hummus as pasta sauce is not my original idea! I’ve seen it various places over the blogosphere. It’s such a genius idea because it makes the sauce extra creamy!)
- Once the chicken is cooked, add the sauce to your skillet and heat over low until the pasta is done.
- Once the pasta and broccoli have cooked for 10 minutes, in total, drain both. Add sauce to the pasta and you’re ready to serve!
What have you done to “celebrate” day lights saving time? Have you ever used hummus as pasta sauce?