Hi there! How’s your weekend been? Mine has been so nice. It’s been the type of weekend that I need every so often. The type that allows me to recharge my batteries and take care of some things around the apartment. Here are some of this weekend’s highlights:
- Slept in on both Saturday and Sunday
- Did a killer upper body workout (more details to come!)
- Baked more cookies (yum!)
- Caught up on some of my favorite NBC comedies (Parks & Recreation and 30 Rock, naturally)
- Brainstormed for our wedding (so much fun)
- Played around with my new Macbook Pro (LOVE)
- Devoured some vegan french toast
- And spent some quality time with this guy…
It’s so nice to have a weekend to re-cooperate. It makes Monday that much more bearable!
Moving onto another fabulous recipe. This salad is great. There are so many textures and flavors involved, that it’s sure to please everyone. Also, it is so easy to pull together. While the steak cooks on the grill and quinoa cooks on the stove, you can prepare the salad quickly. It’s also incredibly adaptable. Feel free to change up the ingredients to suit your liking!
Grilled Sirloin Salad
(adapted from Jillian Michael’s Making the Cut; serves four)
- 1/2 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1lb lean boneless sirloin steak, trimmed
- 1/2 cup quinoa (uncooked)
- 8 cups salad greens (I used kale)
- 1 cup chopped red bell peppers
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Combine first 5 ingredients; rub over both sides of steak. Heat grill to medium-high heat. (I used my George Foreman. Love that thing :-))
- Once the grill is warm, add steak. Cook about 4 minutes per side. Chop steak into thin, bite-sized pieces.
- While the steak cooks, prepare quinoa per package instructions.
- Meanwhile, as the steak and quinoa cook, prepare your salad. Massage kale with olive oil. Add red bell peppers and lemon juice. Toss to coat.
- Top salad with quinoa and steak. Enjoy!
Give me one highlight from your weekend!