Oh, why hello there blog world! I haven’t forgotten about you, even though it may appear that way. Life has been rather busy as of late. Between working full-time and planning a wedding, I have very little time (or brain power) for blogging. But I’m happy to report that my efforts dedicated towards wedding planning have proved fruitful. We’ve picked out the florist and cake designer we want to help us with our big day. I’m thrilled with how the planning is going!
If you remember, in my last post I mentioned that I’m going to tackle the Insanity 60-day challenge. I’m two weeks into it and I have to say I’m really enjoying it. Now don’t get me wrong, the workouts are tough but I’ve found that my body is adapting rather quickly. Each week I’ve completed each workout before work. I expected to be tired throughout the day but the opposite has happened. I actually have more energy!
Along with the workouts, I’ve been watching my diet closely. I’m striving for a clean diet composed of vegetables, fruit, lean protein, and whole grain carbs. So far it’s been easier than I thought. It helps that I’ve been able to create some tasty afternoon treats.
This protein cake turned out much better than expected. Seriously, each time I eat a piece I wonder how something so healthy could taste so good. The cake is moist with a light crumb and the smallest amount of crunch from the chia seeds. I love adding chia seeds to different recipes because of their numerous health benefits but if you don’t have any, then you can easily leave them out.
Before I get to the recipe, I have to show you the stats. You won’t believe it until you see it!
How awesome is that?! If you’re looking for a tasty, yet filling and healthy treat, this “cake” is a great choice.
Chocolate Protein Cake
(makes 8 pieces)
- 1/4 cup raw protein powder
- 1/3 cup pea protein powder
- 2 Tbsp turbinado sugar
- 2 Tbsp dark chocolate cocoa powder
- 6 Tbsp chocolate almond butter (I used Justin’s.)
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 2/3 cup egg whites
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine protein powders, sugar, cocoa powder, and baking soda. Mix throughly with a fork to remove all lumps.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg whites until foamy; about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add almond butter, applesauce, and vanilla to protein powder mixture. Mix until all ingredients are incorporated and the mixture forms a thick paste.
- Using a spatula, fold in egg whites. The mixture should become runny and resemble brownie batter. Fold in chia seeds until just combined.
- In a greased 8×8 pan, pour the mixture and spread it out so that it forms an even layer.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Allow to cool before cutting into bars or squares.
What’s your favorite afternoon snack?