Hi there! How’s this week been treating you? For me, this week has been Draaaaging (yep, with a capital D and four a’s). It’s probably the combination of crummy weather (aka, rain non-stop and mid-50s temps), the fact that I’m taking a mini-vacation next week, and that work has been a little slow as of late. Do you ever find that the week before some time off just crawls by and all you can think about are those few luxurious days of rest you want so badly to enjoy?
Also, today happens to be passing even more slowly since I’m really looking forward to hot yoga after work. Have you taken hot yoga before? I went to my first class a couple weeks ago and I really enjoyed it. There is just something to sweating your heart out while you stretch every muscle in your body. I’m excited to go back for a second round. If my schedule permits, I hope to make it a weekly event!
Over the weekend I got to thinking about quick breads. What? You don’t spend your free time contemplating such things? Ah well, even if I am alone, humor me by reading this. Please? Okay, thanks.
I think the most common quick bread out there would have to be banana bread. It’s a sweet treat that if prepared properly can also be quite healthy. Banana bread is a great addition to the breakfast table but can also be enjoyed as a snack or dessert. But I’m not here to sing the praises of banana bread.
Today I want to talk about it’s less fornuate cousin, zucchini bread. Zucchini bread is often underrated and overlooked. You see, I think most people don’t like the thought of vegetables in their bread. And I understand that. It’s not something most people are used to and therefore they stay away from it.
But I urge these doubters to reconsider! This bread is moist with a spicy, sweet kick. The cinnamon and nutmeg really shine through each doughy slice. I reduced the amount of butter and sugar and added some whole wheat flour to make it a little healthier. While I wouldn’t say this is the healthiest bread around, it is quite a tasty, health(ier) quick bread.
So next time you’re in the mood to bake some quick bread, please don’t leave the zucchini behind!
(adapted from simplyrecipes.com)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 Tbsp applesauce
- 1/2 cup pure cane sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups grated fresh zucchini
- 1/3 cup melted unsalted butter
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Pinch salt
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix together the applesauce, sugar, egg, and vanilla. Mix in the grated zucchini and then the melted butter. Sprinkle baking soda and salt over the mixture and mix in. Slowly add the flours. Sprinkle in the cinnamon and nutmeg and mix.
- Pour the batter into a greased 9 by 5 inch loaf pan. Bake for 40 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in to the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Turn out onto wire racks to cool thoroughly.
Have you ever made zucchini bread?