Isn’t it always a shame when a three day weekend is over? If I had my way, every weekend would be a three day weekend. Who’s with me?!
This past weekend was particularly awesome. The weekend included:
- Three days with my man🙂
- A barbecue with friends
- Delicious cookies
- Video games (L.A. Noire, Dr. Mario, and Guitar Hero, to be specific)
- Watching movies and reading a book
- And, last but certainly not least, starting the Insanity 60-day challenge!
If you haven’t heard of Insanity, you can read more about it here. In a nutshell, it involves intense cardiovascular endurance to help burn fat and tone muscle. I’m three days in and I’m already sore, but I’m also really enjoying it. It’s a tough workout but afterward I feel strong! I’m excited to see what 60 days of Insanity can do for me🙂
Along with the workouts, came a nutrition plan that outlines a diet focused on balancing lean protein, carbohydrates, and healthy fats. Most of the meals that are suggested sound great and rather easy to prepare but as I was reviewing it I was struggling with the snack selections. Only a few items seemed portable, which is important as I’ll be eating my snacks at work. So, I decided to create my own protein bars as the perfect afternoon snack.
I have to admit that I’m thrilled with these bars! I was hestiant because I just made some of it up but I shouldn’t have doubted myself. These bars are fluffy, filling, and oh so peanut buttery. And check out the stats:
I added some raisins for texture and taste but feel free to add whatever mix-ins you like; chocolate chips, peanuts, or rice cereal would all be great options.
I have a few ideas of other flavors, so if you’re not a peanut butter lover, stay tuned. Hopefully I’ll be able to find something that suits everyone!
Peanut Butter Protein Bars
(adapted from Peas and Thank You)
- 1/2 cup protein powder (I used 1/4 cup Raw Protein & 1/4 cup Pea Protein.)
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup flaxmeal
- 1/4 cup turbinado sugar
- 1/2 cup egg whites (or 4 egg whites)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine protein powder(s), ground flaxseeds, sugar, and baking soda. Slowly add peanut butter and vanilla to the dough, and mix until a crumbly texture forms.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until they are foamy (about 2 to 3 minutes).
- Fold in egg whites until just combined. Add raisins and until incorporated.
- In a greased 8×8 pan, spread the dough until it is in a thin, even layer
- Bake for 15 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through.
- Allow to cool before cutting into 8 bars.
Again, these bars were great! If you’re looking to keep them completely vegan, try substituting two flax “eggs” for the egg-whites. I can’t say that you’ll have the same results but it’s worth a try. Let me know if you do!
Have you ever created your own recipe from scratch? Was it a success or not so much?